Welcome, Guest. Login or Register to Join our Dieting & Weight Loss Forum
Username:

Comeback at 52

Thread in '

General Dieting

' Forum started by Apex1, Feb 8th, 2019 at 05:22 AM.
Feb 8th, 2019, 05:22 AM  
Apex1

Comeback at 52

I'm a 100% disabled Army captain, with an SBS (Spenobasilar Symphasis) Override with sidebending. My walk-around head pain is 8-9/10, and most exercise is like hitting myself in the head with a brick.

My Specs:

Height: 6' 0" -- 182 cm

I started at 212 lbs./96.16 kg in early November 2018, and hit 180.2 lbs/ 81.73 by EOM January 2019. I've taken a break, and have seem to hit a set point at 184 pounds. I combined intermittent fasting with a bastardized form of the Ketogenic diet I made from parts of several diets that made common sense to me. Mostly I did it keeping my mouth shut, and replacing my comfort eating with drinking water with electrolytes. Not cheap/not expensive/usually not very hungry.

I am taking a break because I'm afraid shorting myself on carbs for so long just might be a little stupid. And, like you, I want to try to add some lean muscle, and I haven't got a clue how to make that happen while on keto and doing intermittent fasting. The upside has been that the ketones really help with my pain. Supposedly, they are 50x-100x better than NSAIDS, and 10x better than steroid shots.

Bottom Line Question: can I grow lean muscle on keto? Thanks for listening.

Mar 2nd, 2019, 20:48 PM  
theunicornfairy

hey Apex1! so keto diet plus intermittent fasting is great. it is also good that you took a break. sometimes your body will plateau because it thinks you are starving it out. so if you feed it more for a few days to a week, it will think oh okay i guess we're eating again and once you pick up dieting again, you will be able to lose more weight and your set point will change. i would think you would be able to build muscle on keto. just account for the muscle with extra protein!! I'm no expert but hope i helped! it sounds like you are at a healthy weight!

Mar 4th, 2019, 12:33 PM  
Wobbles
Maintainer

You want to lose body fat and not weight I'm assuming... there is difference.

I lost a load of body fat on high fat but I didn't completely take out carbs. I had carb days and like unicornfairy said stepping out can get you out of a plateau. I found like you have said completely restricting myself made me weight loss less manageable and I always gained it back. Before I stopped training hard I was eating over 2000 calories a day and still losing weight, that was high fat and high protein ... I had to add more carbs to stop.