Welcome, Guest. Login or Register to Join our Dieting & Weight Loss Forum
Username:

Is my diet healthy to lose weight as a teenager?

Thread in '

General Dieting

' Forum started by diakurosawaaa, Oct 2nd, 2018 at 22:32 PM.
Oct 2nd, 2018, 22:32 PM  
diakurosawaaa

Is my diet healthy to lose weight as a teenager?

I'm a 16 year old female who is currently trying to lose weight as I really hate my self image. I'm currently 5'5/6ish and weigh around 160lb and would love to go down to around 110lb.
I am currently on a 1,200 calorie diet - I've cut out any junk, processed and fatty foods as well as any processed carbs (white carbs). I am trying to incorporate more fruit, veg, fibre, wholegrains and protein into my diet. For liquids, I only drink green tea/water and I also drink 2 tbsps of apple cider vinegar every morning and night.
I also use intermittent fasting (16:8 ratio) since it works best around my school schedule. So my feeding window is from 12pm-8pm and I usually eat around 2 meals a day that equate to 1,200 calories.
For exercise, I walk around 10,000 steps everyday and occasionally jump rope/dance too and I do light weights/resistance to help tone my muscles.

I want to keep this weight off once and for all and was wondering if these are the right steps?
(Obviously I'll slowly increase my calories as I begin to maintain once I reach my target weight.)

Oct 4th, 2018, 22:16 PM  
sarahc4536

I would say your plan seems good - watching what you're eating and getting exercise in too although I can't say much about calorie counting because I could never get my head around it, and I've never been a fan of fasting plans.

The one thing I can say is that I know how it is to struggle with self image, I did up until 6 months ago. Try to find things that you like about yourself, just one thing a day. Even if it's having a great hair day. It may sound stupid, but it really helped me. I can't say I'm completely happy with myself, because I still want to lose weight, but I'm so much happier than I used to be, and I've even changed how much I want to lose because I don't want to lose certain parts of me that I'm happy with. I spent so long focusing on how other people looked compared to me, and what I thought I should look like to fit in, etc. but I've realised I'm less focused on what I should look like and more on how I feel, which a lot more comfortable with myself than I used to.
I'm not sure if this is making any sense to you, but I hope you can possibly see where I'm coming from?
Mainly, try not to do anything for other people, just make sure it's what you want and you are happy. That's the most important thing. You and your happiness

Oct 10th, 2018, 12:45 PM  
Wobbles
Maintainer

Hi lovely!

The first thing that stood out to me isn't your numbers on the scale but the importance you need to love yourself and have a positive body image on yourself the number on the scale does not define you. It will make your goals less stressful on the body and soul. I'm not going to lie though I know how you feel ... for me I kept failing my 'diet' until I learn to accept me for me because everything felt like a failure between, I was never happy, I was desperate. When I relaxed my journey was successful.

^ Hope that makes sense

Food choices are spot on however the 1200 calories things is so common ... think most of us have used calories fall into this trap. Eventually it stop working. Under eating is a thing and you stop losing weight.

How many times a week do you weight/resistant train?
Is your 10,000 steps normal daily activity?
Could you consider adding more consistent aerobic/cardio to your life style?

Jan 14th, 2019, 14:11 PM  
jacob_w2

It is just do some research how to do it right

Jun 15th, 2019, 15:29 PM  
Paulanda34

Quote:
Quote by diakurosawaaa View Post
I'm a 16 year old female who is currently trying to lose weight as I really hate my self image. I'm currently 5'5/6ish and weigh around 160lb and would love to go down to around 110lb.
I am currently on a 1,200 calorie diet - I've cut out any junk, processed and fatty foods as well as any processed carbs (white carbs). I am trying to incorporate more fruit, veg, fibre, wholegrains and protein into my diet. For liquids, I only drink green tea/water and I also drink 2 tbsps of apple cider vinegar every morning and night.
I also use intermittent fasting (16:8 ratio) since it works best around my school schedule. So my feeding window is from 12pm-8pm and I usually eat around 2 meals a day that equate to 1,200 calories.
For exercise, I walk around 10,000 steps everyday and occasionally jump rope/dance too and I do light weights/resistance to help tone my muscles.

I want to keep this weight off once and for all and was wondering if these are the right steps?
(Obviously I'll slowly increase my calories as I begin to maintain once I reach my target weight.)
Firstly, whatever you are doing is very good. As a teenager, your metabolism is naturally fast in comparison to adults. A fast metabolism means that you will lose weight much easily in comparison to those who have a slow metabolism.
Walking 10,000 steps everyday is just amazing for heart's health. Just remember, that you don't eat any kind of artificial sweetener, they are very bad for liver and kidneys.
If possible try to incorporate some yoga and breathing exercises also in your daily routine. That will help in strengthening your lungs. When your oxygen levels will improve, fat burning process in your body will increase naturally.
I personally do yoga and breathing exercises daily in the morning as my tight schedule does not allow me to go for a long walk and I have noticed that my flexibility has improved. Also, I have lost 1.5 kg of weight in a month without actually making any changes in my diet (prior to starting doing yoga, I was not eating any sugar and sweets and I don't eat them even now). So, I cannot say that I have cut sugar this month, that is why I have lost weight... no that's not true. I think yoga has helped me lose that 1.5 kg.

Update - I was talking with my yoga teacher this morning and she told me that Bhastrika Pranayam (Breath of Fire breathing exercise) is very helpful in burning calories. So, I guess that is the reason why I am seeing some weight loss.