Welcome, Guest. Login or Register to Join our Dieting & Weight Loss Forum
Username:

Distractions from others / not helpful

Thread in '

Maintaining

' Forum started by avidian, Sep 11th, 2013 at 18:55 PM.
Sep 11th, 2013, 18:55 PM  
avidian

Distractions from others / not helpful

Does anyone here have an issue trying to maintain your healthy weight (and lifestyle) without others butting into your business? Every now and then someone will tell me something similar to "Now don't exercise too much" or "Don't turn into one of those people". This is annoying me to no end and while I have no issues doing my best to stay in shape things like this really upset me. How do you handle it?

Sep 11th, 2013, 19:55 PM  
Mamafy

Yes..every time I nearly get to target people keep saying I look too thin xx

Sep 11th, 2013, 21:21 PM  
PrincessPikachu
Maintainer

I'm forever being told not to lose any more weight cos I'll be too thin usually by my family! I tend to remind them of how clothes sizes have changed over the years and how my mum used to pass clothes on to teenage relatives cos she weighed less than them! Drives me bloody mental though! My lot are either having a go at me for being overweight, or for losing too much! You just can't win!

Sep 12th, 2013, 17:52 PM  
TwylaDee

THIS is exactly what I was referring to in the Saboteurs thread; there are people that seem to always try and knock you for your efforts.

I hate unsolicited advice. You can't even bring anything up in an attempt to have a nice, normal conversation without someone that will tell you some sort of horror story about how their Aunt Nellie died from trying something like what you're doing. Okay, I exaggerated, but it's close to the truth!

Oct 14th, 2013, 20:08 PM  
phatboy

Quote:
Quote by avidian View Post
Does anyone here have an issue trying to maintain your healthy weight (and lifestyle) without others butting into your business? Every now and then someone will tell me something similar to "Now don't exercise too much" or "Don't turn into one of those people". This is annoying me to no end and while I have no issues doing my best to stay in shape things like this really upset me. How do you handle it?
Yes! I get so much criticism from others for being a vegan. I try to not bring it up but whenever I am eating in social situations people inquire as to why I only eat certain foods. When I tell them why, they get offended and begin to judge me for not eating animals or their by-products. I handle it by ignoring it. I really do not care what people think of me.

Oct 16th, 2013, 13:55 PM  
MeadowDays

My cousin's daughter has this problem. Some of the women in the family say things to her like, "Be careful not to exercise too much. Your fertility could be affected." She listens politely and doesn't really respond, but I'll bet it makes her mad.

Oct 22nd, 2013, 22:13 PM  
Wobbles
Maintainer

I'd ask wha 'one of those people are' because the frame of mind I'm in I'm going to get older be healthier and fitter than those who may say... "don't go too far"

I have had friends say not to go too far but in a nice way, I have a long face and I have dreaded from the start having the gorm look, once upon a time I wished to put on weight, go figure lol but I'd be offended by 'one of those people'. I am enjoying my figure now and I will go a little lower gradually with aim to tone into this dress I've ordered *eek*!

Do what is right for you ... but I would imagine if you ask the above question they will stutter

Oct 23rd, 2013, 07:53 AM  
Mamafy

I've had this too...sod them! I'm just about coming into normal bmi so theres no way I'm too thin
My cousin who's a nurse told me we are so used to looking at overweight people we have forgotten what someone of normal bmi looks like! I thought about what she said and she's dead right x

Oct 27th, 2013, 15:00 PM  
Jeans

I really think there are people that want us to fail because they are in some way jealous that someone else is doing the work that they themselves need to also be doing. I almost never have a friend or family member that is in good shape tell me these kind of things. It is always the heavy ones. That don't want us to succeed, because if we do, then it makes them look bad.