Welcome, Guest. Login or Register to Join our Dieting & Weight Loss Forum
Username:

Hello from an unsure newbie!

Thread in '

Introduce Yourself

' Forum started by Scribblelark, May 29th, 2017 at 17:19 PM.
Search this Thread

May 29th, 2017, 17:19 PM  
Scribblelark

Hello from an unsure newbie!

Hello all! Great to be here!

I'm not quite sure if I'm going to be joining SW so I thought I'd come on here to ask you for advice, if that's OK...long post coming up, sorry!

Basically, I used to be a SW member many years ago (with plenty of scenic routes and re-starts) until I found losing weight too difficult and frustrating as the scales were not moving despite my best efforts. My health was also really bad at the time. Turned out that I had hypothyroidism, insulin resistance and anaemia, which were severely affecting my ability to exercise and lose weight. Fast forward to now, and I'm on the right medication, but very overweight and very keen to lose a good few stone! I know that I need the support of a group- I've tried using My Fitness Pal to count calories, which worked for a while, but I gave up after a while

I remember a bit about the SW diet from when it used to be just Green days/Red days but I know there's now Extra Easy and extra features. My dietary needs have changed a lot since then so I need to ask about whether SW will be suitable for me.

I'm severely allergic to dairy so any animal-based milk-related products are out (no MullerLights and no cottage cheese!) as well as gluten intolerant with some other food restrictions such as needing to avoid higher-carb food such as potatoes, bread, rice and pasta (they send me to sleep during the day!). I'm able to eat any vegetables (apart from avoiding high-starch/carb root veg where possible such as potato and parsnip), a limited amount of fruit, oats/some grains, any meat, white fish, seafood, eggs, nuts, seeds, dairy-free non-soya products such as coconut milk and yoghurt etc. At the moment I'm living on gluten-free cereal, protein shakes with peanut butter and coconut milk, and some veg/meat in the evenings.

I'm keen to join SW as one of my friends has recently joined and offered to take me along too but I'm just a bit worried that I won't be able to do the diet properly with my eating restrictions. I'm in a very busy job and have very limited cooking facilities in my place of residence, although I can make slow-cooker meals and have a microwave. I'm not fussy about "proper" meals, so can happily just eat a pile of free veg cooked in the microwave instead of making a chilli, for example.

Any advice/reassurance would be much appreciated, or should I try to find a different type of slimming club?

May 29th, 2017, 17:54 PM  
Bevziibubble
Maintainer

Hi and welcome to Social Slimmers

May 29th, 2017, 18:55 PM  
linzi

Hi there welcome! I dont know much about slimming clubs but someone here will.be able to help you im sure!

May 29th, 2017, 19:59 PM  
sarahc4536

Welcome to social slimmers

I'll be honest, I know little about gluten free or dairy foods, but I'm an expert on SW!
Because you're able to eat the meat and most veg, I think you would easily be able to follow SW. Most of the meals mainly contain veg and some form of meat/protein, and it's optional to have a pasta/rice/potato accompaniment.

I would definitely advise going along to the group, and you can have a chat with the consultant and they can advise of any alternatives on the plan, or just any general suggestions.
From what I have looked for in the past, there are gluten free options available for your fibre choices, and there are dairy free foods to pick as your daily 'calcium' options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 29th, 2017, 20:40 PM  
Scribblelark

Thanks! I'll take your suggestion and try the group. I'm really keen to get stuck in! From looking at the speed food vegetables, I think I can definitely incorporate them into my daily diet. Can you have sliced ham and chicken on SW?

May 30th, 2017, 15:33 PM  
Wobbles
Maintainer

Calorie counting does get a bit boring but it tends to set me up on the right path and I get a rough idea what I should and shouldn't have (when I fall off).

Going on what you've said have you ever looked into clean eating and/or paleo?

And of course welcome to the forum

May 30th, 2017, 16:00 PM  
Abbafan1972

Hi Scribblelark,

Welcome to the forum!

Yes you can have sliced ham and chicken on SW (lean of course).

Unfortunately I can't advise you re:- gluten and dairy intolerances, but I'm sure your SW consultant will point you in the right direction.

Let us know how you get on.

Jun 1st, 2017, 17:43 PM  
willmcm

Welcome to the club and congrats on taking the first step!

I don't blame you on MyFitnessPal - I found that app quite painful too in the amount of data it demanded we constantly enter. Although I may just be lazy!

Jun 1st, 2017, 19:53 PM  
Scribblelark

Thanks guys! Wobbles, I did eat fairly clean/paleo, but overdo it on the nuts/creamed coconut front and have become a bit lax regarding "free from" desserts and bread! I shall be eating as clean as possible while on plan though, especially as the usual treats (Muller lights, Hi-fi bars etc) won't fit in with my allergies.

First step today was to buy the SW magazine I'm liking the look of that Hunter's Chicken! Hopefully first group on Tuesday - I'll let you all know how it went! Thanks for the support you're all giving already with your warm welcome

Jun 2nd, 2017, 10:20 AM  
Bevziibubble
Maintainer

Good luck with your first group

Find more posts on hello, newbie, unsure.