Welcome, Guest. Login or Register to Join our Dieting & Weight Loss Forum
Username:

Low Or No Carb Food List

Thread in '

Low Carb Dieting

' Forum started by Wobbles, Feb 13th, 2017 at 13:27 PM.
Feb 13th, 2017, 13:27 PM  
Wobbles
Maintainer

Low Or No Carb Food List

Low carb dieting can be healthy and benefiting to you help but one of the first rules to take on board is DO NOT BE SCARED OF FATS, good fats. Once you have this sunk in some generally basics will help you along your journey:
  1. No refined sugars
  2. No artificial sweeteners
  3. Pick full fat not 'diet' or 'low' fat labelled foods
  4. Say no to highly processed foods
  5. leave sunflower oils etc on the shelves
  6. Avoid trans fats
  7. Avoid gluten grains
One thing to remember is eat REAL food.

SOME BASIC FOODS TO EAT FOR NO AND LOW CARB MEALS

Fresh meat

• Chicken is the most popular type of meat, high in many nutrients, low fat and high in protein.

Fish
  • Heart-healthy fats - omega-3 fatty acids.

Eggs
  • Protein & fats, don't be scared of eggs.
Vegetables
  • More green the better!

Fruits & berries

• Berries are most definitely the favourite packed with various vitamins and antioxidants with grapefruits being the second favourite of choices.
  • Although bananas are by far my personal favourite post workout snack they are higher in carbs. Other higher carb fruits to avoid are apples, pears and grapes.
  • Avocados are apart of the berry family but extremely high in good fats.
  • Grapefruit decreases insulin sensitivity which has a big benefit to energy levels. When insulin is spiked it gives the body the opportunity to store body fat, the higher the levels of insulin that's in the blood, the longer your body has to store body fat (in its most basic form) so insulin just aids in decreasing this spike.

Nuts & seeds
  • Chia seeds are one of the most popular health foods providing many different nutrients but worth noting Chia seeds have roughly 45g of carbs per 100g however roughly 85% of those carbs are fiber so contain very few digestible (“net”) carbs.
  • Nuts and seeds are very popular with low-carb eaters. Low in carbs but high in fat, fiber, protein and various micronutrients.

Heavy full fat creams
  • High proteins and good fats. If you are going to enjoy a little cream in your coffee or poured over some berries go full fat. Low fat creams contain more 'added' ingredients to taste (sugar).
Cheese

Full fat yogurt

Greek yogurt

Nut oils for cooking
  • Coconut oil is the best oil you can use to cook with. High in good fats, good benefits for your metabolism and boosts fat burning. Buy a good organic coconut oil.

Extra virgin olive oil (not for cooking)
  • Contains powerful antioxidants, anti-inflammatory compounds and has benefits for cardiovascular health.

High cocoa dark chocolate

• If you're going to have a low carb treat make sure to go 70% cocoa or higher, believe it or not dark chocolate with high cocoa is very nutritious and is a powerful source of antioxidants, improves blood flow, lowers blood pressure and improves brain function. Moderation.

Feb 13th, 2017, 17:32 PM  
kaybird296

I've noticed the Konjac foods on Groupon recently. Their "Better Than" range appears to have zero carbohydrates! Would this be a good alternative to the regular types? They're gluten-free and fat-free, low GI.

Feb 14th, 2017, 09:36 AM  
Wobbles
Maintainer

I'll have a look when I get time, I just quick glanced and haven't see them before but some of their links are broke. The usual problem with these kind of packs is the extra ingredients such as (crap) oils which would bump the calories, syns or points depending on what you follow but I can't be sure as to how they are packed and cooked (they seem to have different product types so maybe combo).

Cauli grated, and courgette noodles are nice with various dishes. Explore organic spaghetti products you can get in ASDA although poss some carb levels they are high protein.

x

May 9th, 2017, 23:31 PM  
DaisyCat

I find not eating not eating carbs (the refined carbs) has greatly helped me. However in relation to the coconut oil for cooking, I give that a big fat zero. I hate the way it sets like lard once it goes cold.