Welcome, Guest. Login or Register to Join our Dieting & Weight Loss Forum
Username:

Weight loss, gain question

Thread in '

Introduce Yourself

' Forum started by bostonfan49, Feb 1st, 2017 at 19:05 PM.
Feb 1st, 2017, 19:05 PM  
bostonfan49

Weight loss, gain question

I am a 67 year old very healthy male. I am always active but not (10,000 steps active)
3 months ago at a routine doctors visit, I was told that my weight which had crept up to 169 was a bit high. I was told to try to exercise more and make sure that I ate healthy foods. My weight has averaged around 160-162 for the past 5 years.
So I started eating extremely healthy. Breakfast would be fruit and toast and coffee or fruit and nuts and coffee or a whole grain cereal. Lunch would be primary fruit and nuts or sardines in olive oil on triscuit crackers or salmon with a small amount of mayo on whole wheat bread. Sometimes a burger, no cheese. Dinner would be whatever my wife and I ate or we would go out, generally eating very healthy and in moderation. I also would drink approximately 14 6oz bottles of Pomegranate juice per week.
After about a month I weighed myself and found that my weight had dropped from 169 down to 163.5+- needless to say, I was very pleased. I then decided to start a 6 day a week walking program to try to do 10K steps per day plus my normal activity. To my surprise, I discovered that this wasn't that difficult, even in Vermont in the winter (mild so far)
So...........I walk 10K plus steps a day plus my normal activities for a little over a month and then I weigh myself and my weight has gone UP to 166???????
I can only think that two things are going on.....
I am loosing my tire around my waist, it is a bit smaller (I am a string bean everywhere else)
So, I must be gaining muscle and muscle has weight, correct? Oh, forgot to mention, I walk 10,000 steps and then I immediately eat a 21 gram protein bar and one of my two daily little bottles of Pomegranate juice.

What should I do, continue with this regiment and not worry about my weight???? Thanks, Bill

Feb 1st, 2017, 19:37 PM  
sarahc4536

Firstly, welcome to social slimmers!

And secondly, continue with the exercise!
Generally people find that if they increase their exercise quite a lot after doing very little previously, they either gain or maintain for several weeks.
It's because as you exercise you create little tears in your muscles, and a lot of the excess weight will be fluid in your muscles which is helping to heal the tears.
Most people find that after 4 weeks they start to lose weight again.
But another tell tale sign that it's working is that you lose inches all over. And you've said you feel you are losing it around your waist, which is only a good thing

It's not so much that muscle weighs more (1lb of muscle weighs that same as a 1lb of fat) but, it's that you are converting that fat into muscle, and building up other muscles.
I'm sure that your doctor would be very impressed with the change in diet, and especially that you are getting more exercise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 1st, 2017, 20:09 PM  
bostonfan49

Thanks sarahc4536
Q.... is the amount of Pomegranate juice Okay or is it too much sugar? Curious
Thanks, Bill

Feb 1st, 2017, 23:58 PM  
sarahc4536

To be honest, I'm not sure.

I follow Slimming World where drinking fruit juices aren't classed as a 'free' food, we have to use our 'syn' allowance (points we can use on 'naughty' food and drink) partly because they aren't particularly low in sugar, and also because it would be more filling to eat the fruit rather than drink it.

It could be a good idea to reduce how many you are drinking though? Change to normal water with some sugar free juice in it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 21st, 2018, 03:21 AM  
Jll

I have managed to lose 25 plus pounds but my waistline is still huge! All my weigh has come off my legs, boobs and derrière. I was not fat there to begin with! My waist now is only an inch or two smaller than my hips. Any ideas how I can redirect my weight loss to the areas that need it? I exercise moderately as my age and physical condition permit. (I have limitations) I am totally discouraged as I have not seen any significant changes in my clothes size or physical appearance.