Welcome, Guest. Login or Register to Join our Dieting & Weight Loss Forum
Username:

Ideal weight confusion!

Thread in '

General Dieting

' Forum started by DaisyCat, Oct 1st, 2016 at 00:37 AM.
Oct 1st, 2016, 00:37 AM  
DaisyCat

Ideal weight confusion!

So I am 5' 1" and now weigh 9 stone 9 lbs.

I have been checking on the net continuously about ideal weight for a woman of my age and my height and I find across the board that I am around a stone (or even two! on some sites) overweight.

I recently bought my first jeans in about 20 years and was shocked to find size 11 (UK) were a little loose.

If I went down to 7 stone now I would literally be skeletal! And possibly the skeletal size 2 or even 0!

I have asked many people about this conundrum and no-one has given a definitive answer.

I have to add that when I was in my twenties and went to 9 stone I was horrified at how fat I was but now, decades later 9 stone would be very thin for me. (And I haven't gone and got taller over the years btw!).

Does anyone else feel this confusion?

Oct 1st, 2016, 14:27 PM  
sarahc4536

I think the charts and lists that give you what the ideal weight is for a person is ridiculous. Everyone carries weight completely differently, and everyone feels happier at different weights.
Have you ever seen that picture of the 5/6 different women that all weigh 12 stone? They're all different heights and builds and carry the weight completely differently.

My opinion is, that if you are happy and healthy, you stay at whatever weight you are comfortable with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 1st, 2016, 19:18 PM  
jerryperry

did any one tease you ?

Oct 3rd, 2016, 00:28 AM  
DaisyCat

Quote:
Quote by sarahc4536 View Post
I think the charts and lists that give you what the ideal weight is for a person is ridiculous. Everyone carries weight completely differently, and everyone feels happier at different weights.
Have you ever seen that picture of the 5/6 different women that all weigh 12 stone? They're all different heights and builds and carry the weight completely differently.

My opinion is, that if you are happy and healthy, you stay at whatever weight you are comfortable with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No, I'd never seen that pic before but it does explain a lot. My husband is always saying forget numbers lol. I think your body will eventually tell you what weight is ideal because when we reach that we don't have to worry so much just eat properly.

Oct 3rd, 2016, 00:29 AM  
DaisyCat

Quote:
Quote by jerryperry View Post
did any one tease you ?

Tease me? You need to expand on that one :-)

Oct 5th, 2016, 10:09 AM  
sarahc4536

I agree with your husband I know we all worry about the numbers on the scales, and I don't think there will ever be a time when we don't, but I genuinely believe that when we get to that ideal weight/size, for our own bodies, we will knowit.
Everyone carries it differently, so for some random 'health' expert to say that someone at 5ft 6, ages 30 should weigh, say 10 stone, is wrong. (I used very random numbers there, I have no idea what these experts recommend for someone of that height and age ) but you get where I'm coming from

When you get there Daisy, you'll know

Oct 8th, 2016, 10:13 AM  
DaisyCat

Quote:
Quote by sarahc4536 View Post
I agree with your husband I know we all worry about the numbers on the scales, and I don't think there will ever be a time when we don't, but I genuinely believe that when we get to that ideal weight/size, for our own bodies, we will knowit.
Everyone carries it differently, so for some random 'health' expert to say that someone at 5ft 6, ages 30 should weigh, say 10 stone, is wrong. (I used very random numbers there, I have no idea what these experts recommend for someone of that height and age ) but you get where I'm coming from

When you get there Daisy, you'll know
Thanks Sarah. I do actually agree that our bodies tell us when we reach the weight we should be at that time in our lives.

I sort of feel I am there now, well maybe another few pounds but that is it. I really don't want to be a size 8 - or less. I want at least a bit of bum and boob left lol.

Oct 19th, 2016, 10:29 AM  
ajmclardie

Hi DaisyCat, i am 5"2 and have had the same conversations as you, i went with my BMI and want to get it to 25, you can do a calculator on the NHS website, i had my target at 10 stone which i reached then i have lowered it by half a stone and this has been the hardest i have found SW, i now have 2.5 pound to get off and finding it really hard to get there, everyone keeps saying thats your body telling you thats where you need to be, but i am very competitive and when i get something in my head i need to get to it. I had my weigh in last night and only got half a pound off which i was actually gutted about and when i showed my consultant my diary she said your not eating enough, think i just wanted to be extra good to get the last bit off but it backfired, actually felt like i had forgotten what i was doing so went home and read my books again... lol so i looked back at my good diary from when i started and going to mirror that for a week and see if i can get this last 2.5 pound off for next week.

Oct 20th, 2016, 09:40 AM  
DaisyCat

Quote:
Quote by ajmclardie View Post
Hi DaisyCat, i am 5"2 and have had the same conversations as you, i went with my BMI and want to get it to 25, you can do a calculator on the NHS website, i had my target at 10 stone which i reached then i have lowered it by half a stone and this has been the hardest i have found SW, i now have 2.5 pound to get off and finding it really hard to get there, everyone keeps saying thats your body telling you thats where you need to be, but i am very competitive and when i get something in my head i need to get to it. I had my weigh in last night and only got half a pound off which i was actually gutted about and when i showed my consultant my diary she said your not eating enough, think i just wanted to be extra good to get the last bit off but it backfired, actually felt like i had forgotten what i was doing so went home and read my books again... lol so i looked back at my good diary from when i started and going to mirror that for a week and see if i can get this last 2.5 pound off for next week.
Hi ajmclardie,

Firstly, the bit in black above ... that's me to a T

We are roughly around the same point here then. Horrible you are finding this bit the hardest. I am not finding it any different thankfully. And hopefully you will get your 2.5 lb off at next weigh in. If it's any consolation I find it a bit swings and roundabouts at the moment. For instance on my previous but last weigh in I had a maintain and on my last weigh in I had a 4 lb loss. Nothing had changed in what I was eating/drinking those two weeks, well if anything I ate/drank more in the 4lb loss week? Weird.

My BMI when I started was an horrendous 45-46! Now it is now 24.4 so within the correct range. However I am like you and I get things in my mind and want to get it. IF I have another just half pound off at this evening's weigh in I will have EXACTLY 7 and a half stone off which sits well with me (privately, I am SO tempted to get the even 8 stone but my darling husband is freaking out ... he is missing my curvy bum lol!). I think that I have to supress the desire to get to the 8 stone point for myself as in I now feel thinner than I ever have in my life, I know for a fact my bum size is smaller from the now size 8 jeans I can get into easily and even when I was younger and wearing such sizes the size 8 jeans were always a bit *breathe in and pull!*.

So fingers crossed for your 2.5 lbs next time and my half a pound this evening. I am SO nervous about weigh in lol.

Oct 20th, 2016, 10:55 AM  
ajmclardie

My husband is the same to be honest, he likes curves and i think i still have them but he says different.

I think when you achieve your goal which at the beginning you think is never going to happen you say to yourself actually i can do this.

My husband tells everyone i'm obsessed with it, which i think i am a little.

You have done so much better than me, hats off to you, your achievement is awsome...

xxxx