Welcome, Guest. Login or Register to Join our Dieting & Weight Loss Forum
Username:

Gym Membership costs

Thread in '

Exercise

' Forum started by India, Jul 9th, 2016 at 11:22 AM.
Jul 9th, 2016, 11:22 AM  
India

Gym Membership costs

Hoping this has been posted in the right section, if not please feel free to move it

So at the moment I pay for a rolling monthly swim pass at my local gym. Its £13.50 for the month and it allows you access to the pool during all public and adult swim sessions. I go for 3 nights a week, which has been great and it only amounts to about £1.12 a swim. I know its helping build up my fitness and so far I'm enjoying it.

This week has been pretty bad in terms of my attendance. I usually go with my sister but on Wednesday she felt ill after work and Thursday my back had just randomly decided to lock up for the day, so we only attended once.

Because its not always going to be possible to go and with it only being on 3 days a week (its impossible to do any proper swimming during the family hours) I've been thinking about paying extra for the gym.

As I'm currently a student I'm eligible for a discount. They basically have a "pass" which you can purchase for about £6 which then entitles you to a discount off the monthly price. I believe with the pass I'd get a silver membership for about £17 instead of £28. This is great but a silver membership only allows access up to 4:30pm of a weekday but all day through the weekend. This is a problem as my sister works until 5:30 and usually isn't ready until about 7.

Does anyone know of any nationwide gyms that offer rolling contracts at a cheap price? We love the facilities in the one we attend now, enjoy the pool and its not too far away, so its probable that we'll end up staying there but just wondered if theres any deals that I'm missing out on?

Jul 11th, 2016, 21:58 PM  
sarahc4536

The only gym I've used is DW. But for the peak times (basically all day everyday, 6.30 to 10pm) it was £38 (£34 with corporate discount) I've no idea what a student cost would be but the website will tell you.
As for the facilities, they had classes on and everything as well as the pool and usual gym equipment, but you may have had to pay extra for the classes. I never wanted to go to any so I never asked.
That's a slightly rubbish answer isn't it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 12th, 2016, 12:07 PM  
India

Haha no its great thanks Sarah! My plan of being able to get a discount backfired when I signed up as it only works on Silver memberships, whereas I needed a Gold due to my sister. So basically I've ended up paying £32.50 a month (made sure I payed the extra £2.50 so I could just give 30 days notice if I wanted it to end) Pretty sure that includes use of everything and classes but want to get to a certain level of fitness before I start any. Its such a big amount of money for a student But at least its making me even more determined and committed towards my goal!