Welcome, Guest. Login or Register to Join our Dieting & Weight Loss Forum
Username:

Mistakes you make in the kitchen or you hate other people doing!

Thread in '

Food Chatter

' Forum started by Wobbles, May 3rd, 2016 at 14:16 PM.
May 3rd, 2016, 14:16 PM  
Wobbles
Maintainer

Mistakes you make in the kitchen or you hate other people doing!

What are yours? Or are there habits of others people you hate watching when they are in the kitchen.

I have a bad habit of not heating the oil up in a pan before I add the foods to be cooked. This usually ending up with food sticking to the pan. Did you know if you don't that's likely why your food sticks?

Forgetting to season my chicken in the foreman grill until the last minute when it's cooked ... Oops!

When other people are cooking if the dish is also for me it drives me mad when I see them taste their dishes more than once with the same spoon yak lol

May 3rd, 2016, 15:27 PM  
sarahc4536

I can't stand the double dipping either! I've done it myself, but only when the food is just for me - but I won't do it if I'm serving something for others... I just end up with a sink full of spoons instead

We had someone at a taster session at group ages ago who went round the table with the same spoon trying each dish... it took all I had to not turn round and call her out on it!

I don't like watching someone pull the rest of the meat off a chicken after a roast. I can easily do it myself, but I can't watch someone else do it.

I hate seeing people cook mince but don't drain any fat off (when they've not used the really lean stuff) I've never liked the fatty ring around the plate of food. Also, cooking it in water... seeing the fat floating around the pan isn't nice either

May 3rd, 2016, 19:04 PM  
Bevziibubble
Maintainer

I have had a habit of using a metal spoon and then forgetting it's hot and burning myself!

I don't like it when people don't clean up as they go along. A pile of pots and pans stresses me out, I have to get the washing up done as soon as possible!

Jun 7th, 2016, 10:18 AM  
Wobbles
Maintainer

Oh see at the group I would have said something, ewwww no way

I am a don't clean up as I go along most times

Jun 7th, 2016, 10:49 AM  
sarahc4536

I don't always wash things as I go, but I have a method of how I clean/tidy up as I go along, and god forbid if anyone comes in and tries to help... I get a little irritated if that happens and I kick people out of the kitchen when I'm on a roll

Jun 19th, 2016, 20:13 PM  
huntress
Maintainer

@ sarahc You wouldn't like my meals then as I don't drain the fat off as it gives the meal real flavour and the fat helps with your bowel movements.

I'm very quick at putting food into a cold pan and don't let the oil heat up.

I taste(occasionally) as I go with same spoon as it's only for me and OH so I don't mind sharing my germs. ;-) I don't very often taste my food while cooking.

My OH cooking. He takes twice as long and has to chop everything up before hand and put in bowls. Where as I chop everything up and leave on chopping board.

Jun 22nd, 2016, 00:54 AM  
JamieAlison

My BIGGEST mistake is eating while i'm cooking, which results in me eating more calories than I should have. Lol

Jul 19th, 2016, 17:34 PM  
kaybird296

I like having people in the kitchen to keep me company, but it bugs the hell out of me if they still try and "help" after they've offered and I've already politely declined. I used to be shockingly bad at cooking until I developed my own way of doing things and so if I get interrupted or "helped" (unless I ask for a specific task to be done, like chopping veg) it completely throws me off!

Jul 25th, 2016, 09:33 AM  
travistargareyn

I have a similar dilemma. I don't like people unnecessarily interfere when I'm cooking but when others are cooking I just can't help myself. This has gotten me into many arguments.
I'm trying to change this habit though.

Jul 25th, 2016, 14:39 PM  
Bevziibubble
Maintainer

Quote:
Quote by travistargareyn View Post
I have a similar dilemma. I don't like people unnecessarily interfere when I'm cooking but when others are cooking I just can't help myself. This has gotten me into many arguments.
I'm trying to change this habit though.
This is me! I just find it infuriating when people start hanging around in the kitchen watching me cook!