Welcome, Guest. Login or Register to Join our Dieting & Weight Loss Forum
Username:

Greek yoghurt scones syns please

Thread in '

Syn Values

' Forum started by catmad, Oct 25th, 2015 at 07:19 AM.
Oct 25th, 2015, 07:19 AM  
catmad

Greek yoghurt scones syns please

Hi! Can anyone work out the syns in this recipe please? How much is baking powder?

2 cups all purp flour
2 tsp sugar (canderel?)
0.5 tsp salt
1 tbsp baking powder
0.25 tsp cream of tartar
1 cup 0% greek yog
0.5 cup milk (hexa?)

The recipe is on alaskafromscratch.com

I can copy but it won't paste (on my tablet!). Many thanks

Oct 27th, 2015, 11:43 AM  
sarahc4536

Flour is 4.5 syns per 25g (I don't know how much you get into a cup)
Sugar is 1 syn per tsp
Baking Power is 0.5 syns per tsp
Cream of tartar is 0.5 syns per tsp

As for the milk, you wouldnt be able to count it as your hex a unless it used your full hex a allowance and you ate the entire recipe in one day. You can't split your hex a choice, and if you don't have the full amount, you have to syn what you have had. Looking at a conversion, it looks like there will be around 120ml in 1/2 a cup, so it's no where near your hex a allowance and you will have to syn it.
Milk is 1.5 syns per 100ml of skimmed, or 2.5 syns per 100ml of semi-skimmed

At a guess, and using a converter to work out grams, etc. I think the recipe would be this:
54 syns for the flour (300g for 2 cups of flour @ 4.5 syns per 25g)
2 syns for the sugar
0 syns for the salt
1.5 syns for the baking powder
0.5 syns for the cream of tartar
0 syns for the greek yoghurt
2 syns for skimmed milk (3 syns for semi-skimmed)

So overall it would be 60 syns if you used skimmed milk (61 if you used semi-skimmed milk)
Just divide that number by however many scones you make

Oct 28th, 2015, 12:23 PM  
catmad

Hi sarahc thanks for that. Just looked at the recipe again and it only makes 6 biscuits so that would be 10 syns each! I was just wanting something cakey I could make with 0% greek yoghurt as it's one of the few things I can actually buy here! I even emailed Lidl in Bulgaria to see if they'd get me some low fat stuff but they 'have no plans to stock low fat foods' - ah well, worth a try! This is my third week now and the only thing I'm really missing is cake - the 0.1 % yoghurt that Lidl does sell just ain't doing it for me. I used to make 2 cakes a week for the two of us...and I wonder why I'm fat lol! Ah well it will be my mission to makea low fat, low syn cake then x

Oct 28th, 2015, 14:07 PM  
sarahc4536

There is a recipe for a 0.5 syn cake somewhere on here.
I haven't had it as I don't like eggs and I've been told it does taste of egg, but it's around here somewhere...

Oct 28th, 2015, 14:20 PM  
sarahc4536

1. Whisk 4 egg whites in a bowl until they reach soft peak stage
2. In another bowl, whisk together 4 egg yolks, 4tbsp sweetener, half of a 250g tub of quark, 1 tsp baking powder (1/2 syn), 1/2 tsp vanilla extract. Then whisk in half the egg whites.
3. Fold in the remaining egg whites with a metal spoon
4. Tip the mixture into a sandwich tin, lined with baking parchment (2 if you want to make a double cake with filling, or on a tray if you're doing swiss roll style)
5. Bake in oven (180c) until well risen and brown (approx. 20mins). It will sink when you first take it out, dont worry.
6. To make topping/filling- mix other half of quark tub with 1 tbspn of sweetener, as well as vanilla/fromaige frais/orange zest if you'd like.
7. Spread that or use as filling, as required and add fruits of your choice in filling/as topping.

If you whisk the egg whites very stiff (like you were making meringue) and fold into the other ingredients you can leave out the baking powder leaving it Syn Free.

If you can't get Quark, I believe you should be able to use 0% Greek yoghurt without any issues

Oct 28th, 2015, 19:23 PM  
catmad

Ooooooh - want one! No quark or fromage frais but I'll try it with Greek yoghurt and let you know. I've had a good (green) day today but tomorrow night we're going to Bulgarian friends - that'll be everything cooked in oil plus homemade meats full of fat! I'll try and make this cake on Friday then...how exciting! Am I sad? Lol! Oh and the flippin 0.1% yoghurts I've been eating are 2 syns and not 0.5 as I thought! I've been eating two of them over fruit! Gimme cake x

Oct 29th, 2015, 12:45 PM  
catmad

Hi sarahc, couldn't wait till tomorrow so I made this cake. It was horribe! Please tell me I did it all wrong! I whisked the egg yolks n sugar n vanilla - not till it was frothy, it was still quite runny. Whisked the whites to firm peaks. Folded it gently into the yolks and put it into my halogen oven for 20 mins. Took it out and it was wibbly wobbly so put it in for another 10 mins, then another 10 mins. The top was golden but really chewy and inedible. The inside looked moussey but tasted like it had curdled. Yuk! Did I cook it too long? Or not whisk the yolks long enough? Or was it the yoghurt? I've been baking 'traditionally' for years but this was 'orrible. The chickens will love it. Lol x

Oct 29th, 2015, 17:27 PM  
sarahc4536

I wish I could help but I've never actually made it!! I despise eggs so I won't make it... I'm sure there must be someone on here who has made it at some stage who might have some advice!

Oct 29th, 2015, 17:58 PM  
catmad

Oh yes you did say you didn't like eggs - strangely enough it didn't taste eggy. I'm almost sure I cooked the yoghurt too long. Anyway, I won't be trying it again for a while. I also tried the syn free pancakes and that was basically a sweet omelette. My chickens are in for some treats! x