Welcome, Guest. Login or Register to Join our Dieting & Weight Loss Forum
Username:

Graduate calibre?

Thread in '

The Lounge

' Forum started by PrincessPikachu, Jul 13th, 2013 at 14:16 PM.
Jul 13th, 2013, 14:16 PM  
PrincessPikachu
Maintainer

Graduate calibre?

What would you interpret it to mean? I've seen a job I really, really want, but it says you should be either a graduate or of graduate calibre. I did get offers for uni, but took a gap year, which I'm still on plus I didn't get the grades I needed (boys and drinking were far more interesting than revision ) dya reckon that would count? If worded differently of course! I did run my own business for a while too.

I think I'm gona apply anyway, but just wanted some opinions! I mean there's nothing to lose by applying is there?!

Jul 13th, 2013, 16:45 PM  
StirCrazy
Maintainer

Sounds like they want either a.) a naturally brainy person (regardless of education) b.) don't want to pay grad wages c.) take on a grad without too much ambition so if they do manage nab a grad on a standard wage they won't look elsewhere for a better job.

Would take that description as meaning "don't want a thicko" lol. Go for it!! At the end of the day you have experience, your selling point is 'do they want someone who knows how to do the job "on paper/in theory" or someone like you with real world smarts

Jul 13th, 2013, 16:59 PM  
PrincessPikachu
Maintainer

The salary is actually really good, which is what attracted me to it but then I dunno what your average grad salary is! It's a trainee position, so I guess you're right that they want someone with some brains! I wonder if companies are finally realising that not everyone wants to go to uni now?! The question now is though, do I really want to be working full time again?!

Jul 13th, 2013, 18:13 PM  
Nibbler

What kind of work is it? You have nothing to lose by applying, its all experience for future job hunting. Good luck!

Jul 13th, 2013, 18:42 PM  
PrincessPikachu
Maintainer

Its in recruitment! I've seen quite a few other jobs I'm going to apply for too, but I really like the sound of this one! I think I'm being gradually phased out of my current job, so need to find something else, but with minimum wage jobs I'm really limited with hours cos of the cost of childcare!

Jul 13th, 2013, 20:30 PM  
Nibbler

Quote:
Quote by PrincessPikachu View Post
Its in recruitment! I've seen quite a few other jobs I'm going to apply for too, but I really like the sound of this one! I think I'm being gradually phased out of my current job, so need to find something else, but with minimum wage jobs I'm really limited with hours cos of the cost of childcare!
Yeah i know what you mean. Weve been looking nto Martin going back to work and do job searches everyday but there isnt a lot out there. He is restricted because he doesnt drive, so really early starts or late finishes are out of the question unless its within walking distance.

Its def an employers market out there atm - good jobs being paid min wage because the employer can. So frustrating!!

Jul 13th, 2013, 20:55 PM  
PrincessPikachu
Maintainer

It's shit isn't it? The job I'm in ATM is ideal in that it's a 2 min walk from the house and I can work school hours 2 says a week and they're not arsed that I can't work school hols. But the work's shit and I've not been in for the last 3 weeks "because there isn't any work on". They seem to forget that I got the job cos a friend works there at least ive been off in the sun though!

And it's so positive to hear that Martin's looking to go back to work - shows how far you've come hun xxx

Jul 14th, 2013, 18:19 PM  
Nibbler

Dont you do Avon anymore?

Jul 14th, 2013, 20:46 PM  
PrincessPikachu
Maintainer

No I couldn't get time to do it with the small one, it was a nightmare trying to get things done with her! Plus I found out they test on animals and that was the nail in the coffin for me!