Welcome, Guest. Login or Register to Join our Dieting & Weight Loss Forum
Username:

Couch to 10k

Thread in '

Exercise

' Forum started by PaulB, May 15th, 2015 at 09:43 AM.
May 15th, 2015, 09:43 AM  
PaulB

couch to 10k

Wow never thought I'd post here, . Well was listening to a book called Run Like a Girl and I got all inspired. Bit of internet searching later came across couch to 5k then couch to 10k. Noticed a previous post on 5k but as 10k is about the distance to my work seemed a no brainer. It reckons 10k when fit should take around an hour. I set off two hours early to get through traffic when coming by car. Sold. Reading the instructions is a 12 week program where can repeat weeks if struggle so seems pretty doable. So I start Monday

got info from http://www.myrunningtips.com/couch-to-10k.html

Anyone else done anything like this? Know a few mentioned they were starting on the 5k post but then the updates stopped. All i can say is if a 40 year old man who weighs 26 stone and has a 60" waist can do it then so can you I am prepared to be laughed at when I first don my joggy pants and hit the streets but meh!

May 15th, 2015, 14:52 PM  
Wobbles
Maintainer

There are some good apps available one is call c25k and various other apps for 10k +

Looks like some really good advice and tips there Paul ... you can do it

I stopped running and more into training with weights and ab work right now but have been thinking about doing some hiit sprints which is an awesome fat burner!

May 18th, 2015, 06:53 AM  
PaulB

Just survived Day 1 8x ( 1 min run, 2 mins walk)

Struggled on runs 5 and 7 due to stupidly being bothered about passing cars. Instead of setting off into my slow plod I launched off into a fast(ish) run and burnt out in seconds. I was scared people would be pointing and laughing if they saw my zombie like shuffle jogging Still that's part of the head games I need to adapt to. Guessing people driving about at 4.30 in the morning have more pressing issues than watching some fat guy jog in the rain.

Have got myself some dumbbells and kettle bells but at the moment have some kind of trapped nerve thing in my neck and my right arm is getting weaker so don't want to risk much until get through physio. Would like to get a bit more buff Saying that I find my moobs strangely comforting, lol.

May 19th, 2015, 14:58 PM  
Wobbles
Maintainer

Well done Paul!

I soon learnt going full steam ahead right at the get go soon killed you Without the training if going alone running they say go about half of your distance or time at a slower pace and on the second half increase more an more up to the last minute/distance. It did work for me a couple of times!

I growl at outdoor runners who look like they are just breezing through it and want them to trip up others I admire being out there doing it. Just remember you're doing it for you so those people don't matter any way!

May 19th, 2015, 15:35 PM  
PaulB

Thanks for the support I ache soooo much today lol. Am hoping by morning it has gone and can do the easier mid week training day.

May 19th, 2015, 15:41 PM  
PaulB

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGBlX5uXNYg

bit like me

May 19th, 2015, 16:04 PM  
Wobbles
Maintainer

Run through the ache, you CAN do it ...!!!

I love the aches although I moan about them at the time too. Leg day at my place is simply cruel and kills for days

LOL @ video! Good you can laugh with it

May 21st, 2015, 16:00 PM  
PaulB

Yes as an ex gym resident that slow dull ache that tells you you are getting stronger is all too familiar. And I love it. However I think my Mondays episode of bounding about like a numpty has taken its toll on my knees and ankles as they still ache like I've taken a beating. So I've decided to be cautious and stick to the bike for a couple more weeks see if I can drop another stone. I am going to do the 10k thing but I think sometimes have to listen to your body and mine is saying "What the @@@@? you crazy @@@@. You trying to kill me?????"

May 21st, 2015, 18:50 PM  
huntress
Maintainer

When I lived around a corner from a beach I would go out at 7am and run along it. Thats when I started the c25k but we moved and it's all gone pear shaped.

May 22nd, 2015, 07:23 AM  
PaulB

Living near a beach sounds awesome. Am lucky that there is still a little bit of forest nearby and a lot of walkways along the canals. Am hoping in next few days to at least get out on a long walk even if I don't run yet. Seems to help me relax and sort my head out