Welcome, Guest. Login or Register to Join our Dieting & Weight Loss Forum
Username:

Cauliflower craze

Thread in '

General Dieting

' Forum started by TwylaDee, Dec 19th, 2014 at 18:09 PM.
Dec 19th, 2014, 18:09 PM  
TwylaDee

Cauliflower craze

I've found my new favorite vegetable. I've been eating a lot of cauliflower. I even like it mashed with a little milk and butter, and a lot of salt and pepper. I can almost pretend it is potatoes.

Last night I steamed some cauliflower until it was just about done. Then I put it into a casserole dish with a little butter and some sauteed peppers and onions. I added in some shredded cheese and popped it back into the oven until it got nice and bubbly.

I made a small piece of fish to go with it and had a big plate of the casserole. It was extremely satisfying and I was full the rest of the evening.

Dec 19th, 2014, 21:05 PM  
Bevziibubble
Maintainer

That sounds delicious! I love cauliflower, so I will have to give this a go

Dec 20th, 2014, 15:04 PM  
Jasmine

I love cauliflower. I roast it in the oven with a sprinkle of olive oil and garlic salt. If you roast it till brown, it's a little crunchy and very satisfying. Mashed is good too. Like you TwylaDee, I pretend it's mashed potatoes.

Dec 20th, 2014, 15:58 PM  
TwylaDee

I like it roasted too. It can be cooked just about any way that you want and it holds up fairly well. I even like it raw in salad or with a hummus dip. My only complaint is that the price has been too high. I do buy bags of the frozen stuff, but I'd prefer it to be fresh.

Dec 28th, 2014, 03:19 AM  
aboutme

Yum... I need to try this. I think I would love it roasted. I am not sure that I would like it mashed though. I do love potatoes though so I am not sure that mashed would do the trick.

Dec 29th, 2014, 17:24 PM  
TwylaDee

Cauliflower is such a hard and dry vegetable that I find it helps to steam it a little before roasting or toss it in a little oil first. A little thyme or rosemary and some sea salt and it's really good.

Dec 29th, 2014, 21:03 PM  
Poppy

Wonderful suggestions. I think I might need to look into more cauliflower recipes. We eat a lot of broccoli, but it tends to not agree with my stomach. If cauliflower is a little more mild, it might be a better vegetable fix.

Jan 1st, 2015, 16:09 PM  
Paisley

I do this too. I love cauliflower and paired with broccoli it is the one vegetable that I have had success with getting my children to eat. They barely know the difference when I substitute this for mashed potatoes. Another way I have tried this is to make it into macaroni and cheese. This is a much healthier version of a favorite comfort food.