Welcome, Guest. Login or Register to Join our Dieting & Weight Loss Forum
Username:

A lot of people get sick on this diet

Thread in '

Low Carb Dieting

' Forum started by boticelli, Dec 17th, 2014 at 19:51 PM.
Dec 17th, 2014, 19:51 PM  
boticelli

A lot of people get sick on this diet

I've known a lot of people who got really sick following the Atkins diet. I've also seen a lot of people saying the same thing online. Are they doing something wrong or is the diet just not for everyone? How can I tell if this is something I should try?

Dec 18th, 2014, 01:56 AM  
Paisley

I would never be able to do this diet. There is no way that I could ever cut out breads and pastas completely. I have heard that this diet does work really well for people who can actually stick with it. I have a friend that was on this diet and she had to supplement with vitamins because her calcium and magnesium levels became low while she was on this diet. I would say that with any diet, check with your doctor first.

Dec 18th, 2014, 15:46 PM  
TwylaDee

It is far healthier to stick to a low carbohydrate diet than a high carbohydrate diet for most people. I think the problem is when people take any sort of diet to an extreme. Using common sense is the healthiest way to go through life. I happen to be a diabetic. Atkins and any other low carbohydrate diet are of ultimate importance to me for good health. On the other hand, a high protein diet wouldn't be so great for someone with kidney or liver problems. Everyone is different.

Dec 19th, 2014, 02:49 AM  
Poppy

These are very good points. For me, carbohydrates are some of my favorite foods because they're so filling. Finding other filling foods is hard because they don't produce the same full feeling. I can do low-carb diets, but cutting them out completely is next to impossible.

Dec 19th, 2014, 09:41 AM  
Bevziibubble
Maintainer

I have done low carb diets before and they went wiite well as I find fats and protein much more filling. But I can't cut carbs out completely; I found I got so moody, especially after the gym!

Dec 19th, 2014, 17:45 PM  
TwylaDee

Poppy - A low carb diet isn't the same as a no carb diet. Vegetables are carbs but most of those are acceptable foods. The problem is when people eat too much bread, pasta, potatoes, and all those other delicious starchy things.

I don't follow Atkins or the Paleo diet exactly as they are written, but I try to stick to those principles and I've been feeling healthier because of it.

Dec 21st, 2014, 18:04 PM  
boticelli

So modifying those plans works well, TwylaDee? I could perhaps do a modified version. The only thing I've done so far is increase my protein intake and switch most carbs to more complex versions.

Dec 22nd, 2014, 14:20 PM  
TwylaDee

I don't limit myself at all with any vegetables and avoid all the starchy foods. I also keep in mind where the calories are coming from. All the extra condiments like salad dressing, ketchup, mayo, and butter really add up fast.

Dec 24th, 2014, 02:55 AM  
aboutme

I won't try it because I don't like any diet that limits the type of food I can eat. I like to eat a well-balanced diet with all kinds of food. I don't know about people getting sick though.

Dec 30th, 2014, 15:14 PM  
Jasmine

If I read it correctly the Atkins Diet is basically meat and greens. Right? I believe that after a certain amount of time, you are supposed to begin adding a few carbs back into your diet. Correct me if I'm wrong on this.