Welcome, Guest. Login or Register to Join our Dieting & Weight Loss Forum
Username:

Hi, New member

Thread in '

Introduce Yourself

' Forum started by PaulB, Nov 11th, 2014 at 10:22 AM.
Nov 11th, 2014, 10:22 AM  
PaulB

Hi, New member

Hello my name is Paul, aged 40. I am 28 stone. A few months ago I finished therapy for an eating disorder. I am looking to gradually lose about 12 stone.

Although I don't really emotionally eat anymore I still have years of bad habits, poor food choices and a very sedentary lifestyle. My main weakness is takeaways when I do not plan or prepare meals ahead.

I plan to eat more balanced meals and introduce regular exercise. Will be nice to have some people to share the journey with. Maybe provide a bit of verbal support when things slip and hopefully I can help others with similar goals.

Nov 11th, 2014, 11:49 AM  
Bevziibubble
Maintainer

Hi Paul and welcome to Social Slimmers! Best of luck on your weight loss journey. You can do it!

Nov 11th, 2014, 11:57 AM  
StirCrazy
Maintainer

Hi Paul

12 stone is my target too

Look forward to seeing you on the forum

Nov 13th, 2014, 09:17 AM  
PaulB

Kind of aimed at average of 10lb's- stone a month. This sounds a lot but to someone who is very obese especially at first isn't too bad. I would expect by just watching what I eat and introducing regular low impact exercise I would drop over 2 stone the first month. Last time I really tried I was dropping 2 to 3 lbs a day for a long while. It seems to plateau at 24,20, then 16 stone for me in terms of slowing down the rate of loss. Am guessing I carry a lot of water as my legs are often swollen.
The advantage I have this time is my diet is more sensible than previous ones. It goes from a few days of being strict to a sensible healthy balanced diet. The strict days stop me getting food cravings later on in the diet and if they return I swap back to the first stage for a while. Or at least that's the plan. Christmas will be tough. Will just see how it goes if what am doing dosn't work there seems to be a lot of eating plans/diets others on the site are trying that look promising.

Nov 13th, 2014, 09:39 AM  
PaulB

To be honest though am not even that bothered about what weight I end up. I just want to be at that stage where I can pick up trousers in normal shops. I often see jeans etc on sale in the supermarket and there biggest size wont fit my leg. Also I have weight related sleep apnea and know when i hit 24 stone and less it becomes less of an issue. So I guess those are my sub goals. I might need to set more to help me along the way.

Nov 13th, 2014, 12:42 PM  
Wobbles
Maintainer

Hi Paul

Welcome to Social Slimmers!

You CAN do this and I wish you lot's of luck. As you say you lose more the bigger you are, I had all my higher weight loss stats at my bigger weight as friends have experienced too so I don't think it's unrealistic your goals at all.

Maybe set your mini goals up to keep you going, I personally found that a way forward than the yo yo on and off 'dieting' I did.

Good luck!

Nov 13th, 2014, 15:11 PM  
StirCrazy
Maintainer

Sorry Paul, I mis-read... I don't have as much as 12 stone to lose but your goal is definitely do'able. Introducing regular exercise and cutting out the emotionally eating is doing better than me at the moment

Are you on a conventional diet plan or are just trying to eat more sensibly? I was trying Slimming World but now just trying to eat more of the right things without cutting out the occasional goodies (being to strict is when I cave)

Nov 13th, 2014, 17:57 PM  
missbelle

Hello Paul!

I have a friend with an eating disorder, so many don't understand. Well done to you facing it. I wish you lots of luck but I am sure you don't need it as you took the steps for therapy and are now here determined?

Belle xx

Nov 14th, 2014, 08:45 AM  
PaulB

Thanks all for your support. Am trying to diet based on the Zoe Harcombe plan. Basically ,apart from comfort eating which is emotionally triggered, she claims a lot of overeating is caused by yeasts in the gut releasing chemicals that trigger cravings for sugary foods. Do a 5 day cleanse which is similar to low carb then swap to healthy eating with food combining. I'd just read an awesome article in New Scientist about how diseases and viruses modify peoples behavior, like flu releasing chemicals to make us feel more sociable so we seek out other people to let it spread. It seemed worth a look into.
Yep struggled with the eating disorder a great deal and still have to work at it to keep it in check. Did a lot of compassionate cognitive behavioral therapy had an awesome therapist and access to great nutritionist who put me on the straight and narrow for balanced meals. Every meal I try and ask myself "If I cared about myself is eating this e.g. chocolate cake something that will really help or can I do something else to make myself fell better?" Sometimes I distract myself by chatting to a friend etc or sticking some music on and having a boogie sometimes I eat the cake.