Welcome, Guest. Login or Register to Join our Dieting & Weight Loss Forum
Username:

Gravy

Thread in '

Slimming World

' Forum started by Emsie, Sep 17th, 2014 at 19:57 PM.
Sep 17th, 2014, 19:57 PM  
Emsie

Gravy

Hi everyone,
Well the nights are drawing in and the temperature is dropping, which can only mean one thing................lots of warming meals.
This time of the year I love cooking stews and casseroles and lot of different meals which contain gravy.

My dilemma is............

Does anyone know of any syn free ways or low syn ways to thicken up the gravy. I'd normally use corn flour but since joining SW I've not cooked such dishes and so am at a loss of how to thicken them up.
Runny stew just doesn't have the same 'something' about it!!

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated as I am completely stumped!
Thanks
Emsie

Sep 22nd, 2014, 20:09 PM  
Rebseydrink

With gravy, I personally (as inspired by jamie Oliver) make a vegetable trivet ( roughly cut veg put under the meat whilst it's in oven ). i use onion, garlic and leek. Then when meat it cooked I put all this cooked veg in pan with some water and mash it all up, then just add a stock cube or a small amount of gravy granules. That way the leek especially helps thicken it up.

I guess you could do same with stew, mash a few potatoes to thicken it.

Sep 23rd, 2014, 18:48 PM  
Emsie

Thank you for your thoughts!! interesting you say about mashing up potato to thicken the gravy up as I read somewhere about using 'Smash' to thicken the stew. I haven't tried it as I wasn't sure if it would work. On the plus side I also read somewhere that Smash is free on EE.
Not sure if anyone else has heard/tried this?
Thanks again

Sep 24th, 2014, 12:29 PM  
fruitypop

I'm naughty because I've continued to use corn flour in my stews whilst on slimming world. I don't use much and figured that since the meal is split between 3 of us I'm not actually having that much corn flour. If there was a Syn free alternative I'd be interested in trying it though x

Sep 24th, 2014, 18:37 PM  
Emsie

Yea corn flour is what I normally use, I'm not sure how many syns are in that method, so it sort of puts me off. The quest for syn free thickening continues

Sep 29th, 2014, 11:31 AM  
Shirley8

LoLz, thanks for your comments.

Oct 24th, 2014, 13:53 PM  
Emsie

Well on my quest to find a syn free alternative to thicken gravy, I have indeed tried Smash!! And may I say it works a treat!!! Who knew?!!
Can someone please confirm for me, is Smash completely Syn Free?
Thanks

Nov 11th, 2014, 20:18 PM  
jennymar89

On EE smash is absolutely free! 😁

Nov 13th, 2014, 18:08 PM  
missbelle

Smash to thicken gravy or stock sounds interesting, never heard of it before but I do know smash mash made up is gross

Belle xx

Nov 23rd, 2014, 22:16 PM  
carla80

lol i just search for syn free gravy after reading this thread and came up with this Syn free gravy

seems smash does actually work