Welcome, Guest. Login or Register to Join our Dieting & Weight Loss Forum
Username:

Corn

Thread in '

General Dieting

' Forum started by Poppy, Jul 19th, 2014 at 19:32 PM.
Jul 19th, 2014, 19:32 PM  
Poppy

Corn

Lately, I've had a pretty intense craving for corn, so I've been adding it to my salads and eating it as a side item with meals. I was curious about what the exact nutrition information was, and I was floored! 600 calories and 8 grams of fat. Seems almost unfair--even a potato is better than that.

What do you guys think? Ditch the corn, or simply cut back?

Jul 19th, 2014, 23:17 PM  
aboutme

Seriously? Why is corn so high in calories? Are you eating fresh corn with no butter or anything else on it. Man - I love corn on the cob. I eat it plain (without butter or salt). I might have to rethink that!

Jul 19th, 2014, 23:23 PM  
shaniaslim

Sadly, I learned the nutritional information of corn when we started to try to cut back on our carbs. I wouldn't say to cut it out completely, but you might want to watch how much of it you eat.

Jul 20th, 2014, 08:13 AM  
Bevziibubble
Maintainer

Wow, I never knew corn was so caloric! I knew it was significantly higher than a lot of vegetables, but not by that much! That is surprising!

Jul 20th, 2014, 15:10 PM  
Caffeinated

Where did you find that calorie count? I use Calorie Counter (caloriecount.about.com) and one ear of corn with butter is 155 calories. Without the butter, it would be less. One cup of frozen, sweet yellow canned corn is 133 calories (no butter added).

I would think you could eat corn a few times a week unless you're concerned about carb counts, as they are rather high.

Jul 20th, 2014, 15:24 PM  
TwylaDee

I stay away from corn as much as I can these days. Most of it (at least here in the U.S.) is GMO (genetically modified) and we already get so much corn in our diets from everything. Looking at food labels, almost everything on the store shelves contains corn. Don't even get me started on the high fructose corn syrup. Plus, even if you're careful and manage to cut out as much corn from your diet as you can, it's still used to feed cows, chickens, pigs, and even farm raised fish.

So, that's how I feel about corn. They took a wholesome food and ruined it and people wonder why the world is getting fatter.

Jul 20th, 2014, 18:33 PM  
Avocado

Quote:
Quote by TwylaDee View Post
I stay away from corn as much as I can these days. Most of it (at least here in the U.S.) is GMO (genetically modified) and we already get so much corn in our diets from everything. Looking at food labels, almost everything on the store shelves contains corn. Don't even get me started on the high fructose corn syrup. Plus, even if you're careful and manage to cut out as much corn from your diet as you can, it's still used to feed cows, chickens, pigs, and even farm raised fish.

So, that's how I feel about corn. They took a wholesome food and ruined it and people wonder why the world is getting fatter.
I couldn't have said it better myself TwylaDee! People don't realize what they're eating half of the time. No, make that most of the time! If we stopped using corn for everything you mentioned, the farmers in this country would be finished. To which I say, good riddance. Grow something else that is more nutritious for everybody.