Welcome, Guest. Login or Register to Join our Dieting & Weight Loss Forum
Username:

Testing for hunger

Thread in '

General Dieting

' Forum started by KatieMac, Jun 3rd, 2014 at 07:50 AM.
Jun 3rd, 2014, 07:50 AM  
KatieMac

Testing for hunger

I remember when I first started to lose weight, one trick my nutritionist told me to try was to drink a glass of water when I felt like I was hungry. It sounds really simple, but it's a great trick, because it fills you up enough to make you wait for a little period of time to see if you are actually hungry or if it is just "hunger out of habit". If it is a temporary food craving, then it may pass. I used the same trick when I quit smoking. When I wanted a cigarette, I would drink a glass of water really slowly and often the craving passed.

Jun 3rd, 2014, 10:05 AM  
Mamafy

Its really good actually and I often do it. Anything that encourages us to drink more is a good thing

Jun 3rd, 2014, 10:05 AM  
Bevziibubble
Maintainer

Thank you for the tip I need to drink more water!

Jun 3rd, 2014, 15:21 PM  
Embo78

That's a great tip. I really need to try this next time I feel a binge coming on

Jun 4th, 2014, 11:41 AM  
avidian

The tip is good but it never worked for me when I smoked, I guess I was really determined to light up. I do that for the same reasons you do now though and it does work. I tend to keep a bottle of water with me now anywhere I go.

Jun 4th, 2014, 11:50 AM  
GingerJV

Katie this is great tip! I know about it. But it is so hard to do))) when i want to eat i forget about everything))

Jun 4th, 2014, 16:39 PM  
Caffeinated

I've never really found drinking a glass of water to be particularly effective for me. It might keep me from eating for a few minutes, but that's about it. Sometimes a container of sugar free jello works! (4 oz., 5-10 calories)

Jun 4th, 2014, 17:02 PM  
Stephen Reed

I'm not sure what you eat on your diet, but even in a quite large calorie deficit, I always feel full and satisfied. Binging is an emotional thing more than a hunger thing, although of course, if you are dieting with supe low calories, the body does do some funky hormone stuff to get you to eat.

What does a typical dieting day look like for you, and what sort of calories are you eating?

Jun 4th, 2014, 18:27 PM  
aboutme

That is a great tip. I have started to do this. I do drink a lot of water throughout the day though. I think for me I tend to overeat when I'm bored. I am going to try to drink water and get up and get moving instead.

Jun 5th, 2014, 08:53 AM  
KatieMac

Binging is an emotional thing, for me anyway. I think that I also eat when I'm bored, so when I feel like I want to eat, I just try and have a glass of water and make that the new "habit". It has taken some time, but I'm finally getting used to it. Not liking water is one of my problems, so I'm going to try the jello trick too! Thanks everyone!