Welcome, Guest. Login or Register to Join our Dieting & Weight Loss Forum
Username:

Have you had falafel?

Thread in '

Food Chatter

' Forum started by TwylaDee, Feb 12th, 2014 at 15:15 PM.
Feb 12th, 2014, 15:15 PM  
TwylaDee

Have you had falafel?

They are patties made from chickpeas and fava beans, ground up with spices and then deep fried.

Recently my cousin and I were talking about it, because we both tried them for the first time last year and loved them. We talked about trying to make them ourselves and baking them rather than frying them so they would be much healthier.

She and her husband did that a couple days ago and she reported to me that they came out excellent!

Feb 12th, 2014, 17:03 PM  
Bevziibubble
Maintainer

I have never tried them. I'm not sure if we have them in the uk but I know my friend in the USA loves them. They do sound good!

Feb 12th, 2014, 17:33 PM  
MiniMe

I have never had falafel, but I do like chickpeas. I might have to find a recipe for this and give it a go. It sounds like it would be a healthy alternative to meat for Meatless Mondays!

Feb 12th, 2014, 18:01 PM  
TwylaDee

It's a Middle Eastern dish and it's pretty tasty. Usually it's served in a pita with yogurt sauce or with hummus. Do you have any Middle Eastern type restaurants near you, Bevziibubble?

Feb 12th, 2014, 19:55 PM  
PrincessPikachu
Maintainer

I love falafel! Bev you can get them over here I've made them a few times too, never thought to bake them!

Feb 12th, 2014, 19:58 PM  
Avocado

Yes, falafels are so good, you will be hooked instantly! That homemade yogurt sauce is so good on it. Then, if you like spice, you can ask for some hot tahini sauce. Oh joy of joys!

Feb 12th, 2014, 22:31 PM  
Bevziibubble
Maintainer

Quote:
Quote by PrincessPikachu View Post
I love falafel! Bev you can get them over here I've made them a few times too, never thought to bake them!
Oops! I thought we didn't have them over here at all. I'd never even heard of them until my USA friend mentioned them!