Welcome, Guest. Login or Register to Join our Dieting & Weight Loss Forum
Username:

Pre-made shakes?

Thread in '

Meal Replacements

' Forum started by MiniMe, Jan 28th, 2014 at 20:03 PM.
Jan 28th, 2014, 20:03 PM  
MiniMe

Pre-made shakes?

Are the pre-made shakes as healthy as making your own at home? I prefer to make my own because I can monitor what goes into it. I don't like the idea of not knowing exactly what I am eating or drinking.

Jan 28th, 2014, 20:23 PM  
Wobbles
Maintainer

I've never made my own but I guess it depends how you make them, I have seen many ideas around the internet using various ingredients but what stuck in my mind was in Slimming World group our consultant informed us blended fruit was not syn free. The reason is because fruit still has calories and if blended you use more to make up your shake or smoothie... it was something along those lines. Guess it does make sense and depends on which fruit you use too.

Not much use I'm sure

I like celebrity slim shakes over others I have tried so far.

Jan 29th, 2014, 03:00 AM  
Jessica

I always prefer to make my own. I do always have a few pre-made shakes stashed away for lazy days when I don't feel like making my own, though.

Jan 29th, 2014, 11:53 AM  
MandaBear
Maintainer

Quote:
Quote by Wobbles View Post
I've never made my own but I guess it depends how you make them, I have seen many ideas around the internet using various ingredients but what stuck in my mind was in Slimming World group our consultant informed us blended fruit was not syn free. The reason is because fruit still has calories and if blended you use more to make up your shake or smoothie... it was something along those lines. Guess it does make sense and depends on which fruit you use too.

Not much use I'm sure

I like celebrity slim shakes over others I have tried so far.
I think that principle is the same one behind juicing not being as healthy as everyone thinks it is. When you pulverize fruit for juice or for a smoothie, you concentrate it down and wind up needing more than you would need if you just ate the fruit by itself.

Jan 29th, 2014, 21:14 PM  
TwylaDee

I have to stay away from a lot of juices and smoothies because of the high amount of sugars in the fruit that go straight to the blood since I am diabetic. The prepackaged ones can be pretty unhealthy actually. I have found that I can make a nice smoothie with skim milk, yogurt, one banana, and maybe one or two pieces of melon or a couple berries for flavor, blended with some ice cubes usually keeps the carb and sugar count within reason and is pretty tasty.