Welcome, Guest. Login or Register to Join our Dieting & Weight Loss Forum
Username:

Cooking on Electric Stoves

Thread in '

Food Chatter

' Forum started by MandaBear, Jan 4th, 2014 at 20:00 PM.
Jan 4th, 2014, 20:00 PM  
MandaBear
Maintainer

Cooking on Electric Stoves

We just switched from a gas stove to an electric one and man, what a major difference! It's definitely something I will have to get used to. I've already burnt three meals! Any tips for a cook used to cooking with gas?

Jan 4th, 2014, 22:30 PM  
Mitch

Haha. I switched from halogen to gas because I hated the electric one that was here when we moved in. The main difference I found was; you can't turn an electric stove off and leave it to sit for a while without burning. You turn a gas hob off and there is no direct heat, where-as on electric it can takes ages to cool down. I find the heat levels a bit screwy too. There is either heat or no heat. It's very hard to get a medium.

I like electric ovens though

Jan 6th, 2014, 00:44 AM  
PaintedNails123

I wish I had some advice for you but all I've ever cooked on is gas, too. I've heard snippets about electric stoves here and there over the years though, but it's pretty much all been to the tune of what Mitch said -- that they're basically either on or off, with a middle-ground or medium-level heat hard to maintain. Good luck!

Jan 6th, 2014, 14:12 PM  
PrincessPikachu
Maintainer

I've had electric stoves for the past few years and it did take a lot of getting used to at first! I tend to turn the hob right off for the last few minutes of cooking, as it stays hot. What I do find quite useful though is once I've finished cooking and pans are empty, to fill them with water and put them back on the rings. With them still being hot, it helps to loosen anything that might be stuck and makes them easier to wash!

Jan 6th, 2014, 15:02 PM  
Bevziibubble
Maintainer

I had an electric stove a few years ago but since moving we now have one that's got gas hobs with the inside oven being electric. For the hobs I do prefer gas, but I think the electric hob was so much easier to clean!