Welcome, Guest. Login or Register to Join our Dieting & Weight Loss Forum
Username:

Chex mix

Thread in '

Recipes

' Forum started by aboutme, Dec 5th, 2013 at 16:34 PM.
Dec 5th, 2013, 16:34 PM  
aboutme

Chex mix

We are going to make Chex mix this weekend (along with a lot of other goodies). I love Chex mix but it really isn't all that healthy. What can I put in it to make it better for me? I know I have to leave the candy out!

Dec 5th, 2013, 17:09 PM  
Poppy

Have you ever tried making a savory batch? I used this recipe last year, and wow! It turned out amazing. I'll never go back to store-bought again. Instead of butter, I use a low-fat spread. Works like a charm, and it's super cheap to make for Christmas gifts.

Dec 9th, 2013, 09:23 AM  
Bevziibubble
Maintainer

I have never heard of chex mix before, but it sounds interesting!

Dec 9th, 2013, 14:37 PM  
Mitch

What's chex mix? Looks like pretzel things, nuts and shredded wheat That cant be good on a diet surely? Not sure that you can get that chex in the UK. Would give it a go, but looks high in carbs.

Dec 14th, 2013, 03:09 AM  
Jeans

I wouldn't say it's unhealthy. I usually go with the Rice Chex if I will be sharing. There's no gluten in that and I have a couple friends avoiding it. I've made it without Chex cereal. You can use Cheerios or any of the other low fat, low sugar cereals too.

Some add-ins are nuts, coconut, raisins, dried fruit, or carob chips. I just throw things in that seem to go well together. I take some in a little container to work sometimes. Like trail mix, it gives a little energy boost in the middle of the day as long as you don't sit and eat it all day long.

Dec 16th, 2013, 20:43 PM  
Poppy

Oh, man. Carob chips and dried fruit would be amazing. I like this idea, Jeans! Thanks for sharing. I'm going to have to make a trail mix batch this year.

Dec 16th, 2013, 21:14 PM  
avidian

It is good but it is addicting and it is either always too sweet or too salty when you buy it in the normal bags. I want to start making my own again, I had a great recipes years ago but I lost it. I might have to try the one you listed above out to see how the family likes it.