Welcome, Guest. Login or Register to Join our Dieting & Weight Loss Forum
Username:

Favorite spices

Thread in '

The Lounge

' Forum started by Jeans, Nov 1st, 2013 at 21:10 PM.
Nov 1st, 2013, 21:10 PM  
Jeans

Favorite spices

I hate bland food. I've been cooking without a lot of added oils or sugars and trying to make up the flavor with seasonings. What are some of your "go to" spices?

I can't eat much garlic or it gives me horrible indigestion but I do like to use onion powder. Also, I am always reaching for the chili powder, cumin, dried basil, and thyme.

Nov 1st, 2013, 23:06 PM  
Avocado

I would favor sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. You wouldn't believe the difference it makes from using iodized salt and stale black pepper. I love on Restaurant Impossible when he tastes things and he always says, "Needs salt and pepper!"

Nov 1st, 2013, 23:48 PM  
PrincessPikachu
Maintainer

My favourites are cumin, smoked paprika, Rosemary and mixed Italian herbs! I don't use much salt, only on chips and popcorn!

Nov 2nd, 2013, 15:01 PM  
Jeans

Yes, salt and pepper. I didn't mention those because they are the most common.

Ah, rosemary. I like that too. I have some but I never seem to use it much except with pork. I think I may try it with vegetables next time. That should be good, right? It's supposed to have a lot of health benefits.

Nov 2nd, 2013, 15:06 PM  
Wobbles
Maintainer

Spicy seasonal all, peri peri and fajita are my favs from my spice rack! Love spicing my chicken up x

Nov 2nd, 2013, 15:48 PM  
PrincessPikachu
Maintainer

I love Rosemary with veg, either with carrot and swede mashed, or sprinkled on veg roasted in the oven with olive oil!

Nov 2nd, 2013, 17:14 PM  
Avocado

I do love me some fresh thyme, cilantro, and some good chili powder are great to have no hand as well. I also like to keep some rosemary, sage, and curry powder. A little of the hot stuff can go a long way.

Nov 3rd, 2013, 03:43 AM  
Poppy

I recently discovered tarragon, and I love it! It's very strange. I don't know how to describe it. It almost has a minty flavor. It's very tasty in chicken salad.

Avocado: I love fresh sage. I used it once when I made chicken noodle soup from scratch, and now it's a must. Fresh basil is amazing, too.