Hi. I struggle for snacks on a green day as I detest most veg so I wanted to try falafels. Had no chickpeas so found a recipe without. It's on a website called Five and Spice and Emily kindly allowed me to share it. The recipe says it makes 10 patties but I got 32 bitesize balls out of this. Original recipe is: http://fiveandspice.com/2011/06/01/mushroom-falafel
500g sliced mushrooms
half cup onion (I only had red)
2 large garlic cloves (I used 3)
half cup parsley (I used a dsstsp dried)
quarter cup mint (I had fresh from my freezer but I'd guess at half dsstsp dried)
half cup lemon juice
half cup grated mozzarella (hexa)
1 cup breadcrumbs (hexb)
2 or 3 eggs
1. Fry mushrooms, let them cool a bit, chop them fairly small. Food processor might turn them mushy.
2. Chop onions and garlic finely by hand or in a food processor. Add to mushrooms.
3. Add all the rest except breadcrumbs and mix with TWO of the eggs in a bowl. Add another egg if needed and enough crumbs to bring it all together. You don't want a wet mixture. Add salt (I'll add a touch more next time).
4. Roll into balls of whatever size you want and flatten them into patties if you like. I made 32 bitesize balls. Put in the fridge for an hour to firm up or freezer for 20 mins.
5. Original recipe says to fry them then bake them but I couldn't be bothered so they went onto a frylight sprayed tray and I baked them for 20 mins at 350 degrees. You might want to bake them at slightly lower for slightly longer because my oven is pants!
6. Serve with syn free tzatziki and, if you're lucky enough to have a hexb brand pitta, one of those with salad.
Note: When I mixed everything I split it into 3 and made a third as original, added chilli to another third and cumin to the other third. Not so keen on the cumin, the original needed a little more salt and the chilli was lovely. When I've found out syns for sweet chilli sauce I'll add that to some next time and maybe some lemon zest to others. Really you can play with this and add whatever spices/herbs you fancy.
Note: I used 2 x small slices wholemeal loaf for the crumbs and a quarter of a mozzarella ball as a hexa (forgot to weigh it). Not sure the cheese added a great deal so I'll make some without next time and see. Hope you like them! From a veg hater x