Syn free chips are a Slimming World staple. Quick and yummy, but also easy to end up with pale dried out sticks of potato (or blackened french fries).
So here's a run down of how to make slimming world chips: First thing's first... Which Potatoes?
In my experience the best potatoes for slimming world chips (taste wise) are Maris Pipers, Russets or medium sized Baking potatoes. In reality most potatoes will do the job but just remember that high starch tattys are a lot softer and have a habit of falling apart if you over boil. Skin on or off?
It's personal preference really. Leaving the skin on does give a bit of extra fiber, not to mention it's so much quicker.
You may want to leave the skin on if you choose a softer potato like a vivaldi as it will keep it together better. Lets get started!
This ideally serves 4 as a side to a main meal, but these are syn free so adjust the amount of potatoes to suit
Preheat the oven to 230°C (220°C Fan assisted oven)
- Give 1kg of potatoes a wash/scrub and cut out any blemishes. Chip the potatoes lengthways (roughly 1cm thick) and put straight into a pan of cold water.
- Add about 1/2 level tsp salt to the water and bring the pan to the boil (high heat).
- When the water starts boiling continue cooking for another 5 minutes and then drain and leave for 10 minutes.
Leaving the chips to dry is very important otherwise you'll end up with pale soggy chips.
- Return the chips back to the pan (make sure it's dry), cover with a lid and give them a good shake. This will rough up the edges a little and give them a better texture.
- Spray a baking tray with Fry Light (or your choice of low cal spray) and evenly place the chips on top (try to spread them out so they don't touch). Spray the top of the chips (do it at a slight angle so you get the sides).
- Put in the oven for 20 - 25 minutes. Turn occasionally until golden brown on all sides.
And there you have it... Perfect Syn Free Chips!