I don't normally use ketchup anymore but wanted to have some with my veggie burgers so did a bit of testing and came up with this. For SW folks it works out at .4 of a syn per tablespoonful and the calories per tablespoonful is only 7 and a half calories. Added to that it costs about a third of the cost of the brand we all know.
I am also going to use it for the tomato element of a pizza base. (Pizza base made from polenta btw).
So here it is:
1 200 gram tube of tomato paste
1 can of tomatoes, drained
50 ml red wine vinegar
1 onion, peeled and finely diced
Half a stick of celery, cut into strips then diced
1 clove of garlic, peeled and finely chopped or crushed
2 teaspoons of honey
2 level teaspoons of Dijon mustard
Half a level teaspoon of all spice
Quarter level teaspoon of ground cloves
Quarter level teaspoon of cayenne pepper
Pinch of salt
Sharp knife and chopping board
Garlic crusher if using
Glass jar with lid
Bowl to sterilise jar and lid in
1. Put the tomato paste, drained tomatoes, red wine vinegar, diced onion, diced celery and chopped/crushed garlic and pinch of salt into the saucepan. Add in the honey, Dijon mustard, all spice and cayenne pepper and simmer very gently until the onions and celery are soft. Keep stirring so it doesn’t stick or burn.
2. While the mix is simmering, sterilise the jar by washing in hot soapy water, rinse well under running cold water. Then put the lid and jar in a large bowl and a teaspoon in the jar and pour a kettle of boiling water over them. It is VERY important you put the spoon into the jar to stop it cracking. Once sterilized remove from the bowl and drain upside down on a clean piece of kitchen paper.
3. Once the onion and celery are softened, remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly.
4. Blend with a hand blender until smooth.
5. Cool thoroughly and put into the sterilised jar with lid. Refrigerate.
6. The ketchup will keep in the fridge for up to one month.
1 onion 45 calories, tube of tomato paste 158 calories, tin of tomatoes 85 calories, teaspoons of honey 40 calories, 50 ml red wine vinegar 30 calories.
TOTAL CALORIES = 358 Divided by 45 = 8 calories per tablespoon. (The popular brand has 20 calories per tablespoon).
Slimming World: 358 calories = 17.9 syns. 17.9 syns divided by 45 = .4 syns per tablespoon (under half a syn per tablespoon). (1 syn in popular brand).