1 tin full fat coconut milk
1/3 cup coconut sugar
1tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp salt
1tbsp coconut oil (can use coconut butter)
- Add the coconut milk and sugar to pan over medium heat until boiled then turn down to a low simmer until the sauce thickens/sticks to spoon. Stirring frequently so not to burn, this takes about 30 minutes.
- Take off heat and add the vanilla, salt and coconut oil/butter.
- The sauce will thicken more as it cools.
- Allow to cool, stirring a couple of times.
- Add more or less salt to taste.
- Stir before each serving.
I fridge the sauce which lightens the sauces colour but if you like to serve warm a quick 5-10 second in the microwave depending on your microwave darkens the caramel and job done (which I do)!