Prep time: 25 minutes
Cook time: under 2 hours
Syns per serving:
Extra Easy: 1
750g lean stewing beef, all visible fat removed, cubed
2 large onions, peeled and roughly chopped
450g carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
1 level tbsp plain flour
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
200ml boiling hot beef stock
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
400g can baked beans
2 bay leaves
600g potatoes, peeled and very thinly sliced
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/Gas 4.
2. Place the beef, onions, carrots and flour in a baking dish, season and toss to mix well.
3. Pour in the boiling hot stock then add the Worcestershire sauce, baked beans and bay leaves. Stir to mix well and arrange the sliced potatoes on top of the meat mixture.
4. Cover with foil then place in the oven for about 1½ hours or until the potatoes are cooked and tender.
5. Remove the foil, then turn the oven up to brown the potatoes, or finish under the grill for 5-8 minutes until brown.
Tip: Use a mandolin to create lovely thin slices of potato in a flash.