Low carb dieting can be healthy and benefiting to you help but one of the first rules to take on board is DO NOT BE SCARED OF FATS, good fats. Once you have this sunk in some generally basics
will help you along your journey:
- No refined sugars
- No artificial sweeteners
- Pick full fat not 'diet' or 'low' fat labelled foods
- Say no to highly processed foods
- leave sunflower oils etc on the shelves
- Avoid trans fats
- Avoid gluten grains
One thing to remember is eat REAL food.
SOME BASIC FOODS TO EAT FOR NO AND LOW CARB MEALS
- Chicken is the most popular type of meat, high in many nutrients, low fat and high in protein.
- Heart-healthy fats - omega-3 fatty acids.
- Protein & fats, don't be scared of eggs.
Fruits & berries
Nuts & seeds
- Berries are most definitely the favourite packed with various vitamins and antioxidants with grapefruits being the second favourite of choices.
- Although bananas are by far my personal favourite post workout snack they are higher in carbs. Other higher carb fruits to avoid are apples, pears and grapes.
- Avocados are apart of the berry family but extremely high in good fats.
- Grapefruit decreases insulin sensitivity which has a big benefit to energy levels. When insulin is spiked it gives the body the opportunity to store body fat, the higher the levels of insulin that's in the blood, the longer your body has to store body fat (in its most basic form) so insulin just aids in decreasing this spike.
Heavy full fat creams
- Chia seeds are one of the most popular health foods providing many different nutrients but worth noting Chia seeds have roughly 45g of carbs per 100g however roughly 85% of those carbs are fiber so contain very few digestible (“net”) carbs.
- Nuts and seeds are very popular with low-carb eaters. Low in carbs but high in fat, fiber, protein and various micronutrients.
Cheese Full fat yogurt Greek yogurt
- High proteins and good fats. If you are going to enjoy a little cream in your coffee or poured over some berries go full fat. Low fat creams contain more 'added' ingredients to taste (sugar).
Nut oils for cooking
Extra virgin olive oil (not for cooking)
- Coconut oil is the best oil you can use to cook with. High in good fats, good benefits for your metabolism and boosts fat burning. Buy a good organic coconut oil.
- Contains powerful antioxidants, anti-inflammatory compounds and has benefits for cardiovascular health.
High cocoa dark chocolate
- If you're going to have a low carb treat make sure to go 70% cocoa or higher, believe it or not dark chocolate with high cocoa is very nutritious and is a powerful source of antioxidants, improves blood flow, lowers blood pressure and improves brain function. Moderation.